Coastal & Marine
I have built a strong practice advising central government, local authorities, developers and iwi on legal issues concerning the coastal and marine environment.
I am widely published in the field of coastal and marine law both inside and outside New Zealand.
I have advised on all recent legislative changes involving New Zealand’s territorial waters and Exclusive Economic Zone.
Some of my recent work includes:
- Counsel for Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Whakaue ki Maketū concerning applications for orders from the High Court recognising protected customary rights and customary marine title under the Marine and Coastal Area (Takutai Moana) Act 2011.
- Counsel for Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Whakaue ki Maketū & Ors in successful appeal against the conditions of resource consent for abandonment of the MV Rena on Astrolabe Reef/Otāiti. Ngāi Te Hapū & Ngā Potiki a Tamapahore Trust v Bay of Plenty Regional Council  NZENVC 073 (EC).
- Advised the IUCN on Advisory opinion proceedings before the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea concerning Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated Fishing (Advisory Opinion 21, 2 April 2015).
- Provided Northland Regional Council with preliminary advice on viability of a proposal for a Northland Marine Park.
- Advised Northland Regional Council on the Ninety Mile Beach Treaty settlement and the council’s statutory powers and functions.
- Counsel for Society in successful judicial review of Minister of Conservation’s decision to decline an application to establish a marine reserve in Akaroa Harbour. Akaroa Marine Protection Society Incorporated v The Minister of Conservation  NZHC 933,  NZRMA 343,  NZAR 655 (HC).
- Delivering national seminars for the New Zealand Law Society on the Marine and Coastal Area Act 2011.
- Advised Local Government New Zealand on the implications of the Marine and Coastal Area Bill 2010 for the administration of the coastal marine area by regional councils under the Resource Management Act 1991. My advice was tabled before the Maori Affairs Select Committee and led to amendments to the Bill.
- Advised the Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment on the Fisheries Act 1996 as part of an investigation.
- Counsel for the Surfbreak Protection Society Incorporated before the Board of Inquiry into the New Zealand Coastal Policy Statement 2010 (NZCPS). Successful in having seventeen regional surf breaks declared as nationally significant under Policy 16 of the NZCPS 2010.
For information on my Exclusive Economic Zone expertise click here