I have been involved in many kinds of infrastructure projects (e.g. energy, transport, airports, ports, irrigation, wastewater and education).
Infrastructure projects are generally introduced through notices of requirement under the Resource Management Act. This process is unique insofar as the proponent (requiring authority) decides whether to allow the proposal, and not a local authority as is normally the case.
I have acted for all the different types of parties that can become involved in notices of requirement (requiring authorities, local government and affected parties).
I am able to draw on this depth of experience to best assist you secure your notice of requirement, or protect property interests which are affected by an infrastructure proposal.
I can also assist you with negotiations involving the purchase/sale or compulsory acquisition of land for an infrastructure project under the Public Works Act.
Some of my recent work includes:
- Counsel for Adare Company Limited concerning Hamilton City Council’s Southern Links Designation.
- Counsel for various inner-city property owners affected by Auckland Transport’s notice of requirement for the proposed City Rail Link in Auckland.
- Counsel for the Minister of Education in respect of appeals against a plan change and notice of requirement to expand the airport and air noise boundaries at Queenstown Airport. Air New Zealand Ltd v Queenstown Lakes District Council  NZENVC 195 (EC).
- Advised the Minister of Education on the acquisition of land and notices of requirement for new primary and secondary schools in Queenstown.
- Obtained a designation for the Minister of Education to develop a new secondary school at Rototuna in north Hamilton.
- Counsel for the Minister of Education in the Board of Inquiry concerning New Zealand Transport Agency Waterview Connection Proposal.